Updated on: November 26, 2019
Yum (Yellow Dog Update Modifier)
Yum is an RPM based server, we are using for package management. Through yum we can install, update, remove or search packages very easily. It is an open source management tool in Red hat. Its basic server, we need to configure in any organization where we are using Linux based OS, without yum rpm installation is not easy in Red hat, because of many dependency errors we are getting while installing RPM. Yum is used to resolve dependency errors.
We can set-up local yum or dnf repository using the installation DVD or ISO file.
In RHEL 8, we have two package repositories to yum server.
- BaseOS:- BaseOS repository we have all main OS packages
- Application Stream: – Application, Stream repository we have all application related packages, developer tools and databases etc.
Also learn here about What Is New Features In Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8
How To Configure YUM Server in Rhel 8?
For configuration of yum we need packages first. We can find all packages in DVD or ISO file.
1. Mount RHEL 8 DVD or ISO file
# mount /dev/cdrom /mnt
2. Create a folder and Copy all DVD content into that folder
# mkdir /Package
# cp –rv /mnt/* /Package
3. Copy media.repo file from mounted directory to /etc/yum.repos.d/
# cp -v /opt/media.repo /etc/yum.repos.d/rhel8.repo
Set “644” permission on “/etc/yum.repos.d/rhel8.repo”
4. Add repository entries in “/etc/yum.repos.d/rhel8.repo” file
Edit rhel8.repo file.
name=Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 – BaseOS
name=Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 – AppStream
5. Clean Yum / DNF and Subscription Manager Cache
#dnf clean all
6. Check whether Yum / DNF is getting packages from Local Repo
Use dnf or yum repolist command to verify whether these commands are getting packages from Local repolist
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Unable to read consumer identity
This system is not registered to Red Hat Subscription Management. You can use subscription-manager to register.
Last metadata expiration check: 1:32:44 ago on Sat 11 May 2019 08:48:24 AM BST.
repo id repo name status
InstallMedia-AppStream Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 – AppStream 4,672
InstallMedia-BaseOS Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 – BaseOS 1,658
To prevent message “This system is not registered with Red Hat Subscription Management. You can use the subscription-manager to register.” Go to /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/subscription-manager.conf”, changed the parameter “enabled=1” to “enabled=0”
[root@ssdntech~]# vi /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/subscription-manager.conf
6. Installing packages using DNF / Yum
# dnf install package
It will show you Packages and its dependencies and ask you for confirmation about installing packages. Press “Y” if you want to install any package.